Sunday, September 22, 2013

Great Social Bookmarking Tool for Teachers and Students - Diigo



Teachers and students, if you are looking for a better way to keep track of great websites, links, videos, and blogs, then you need to give Diigo a try. It's one of the best ways that I've found to keep track of all the different resources that I use on the web and makes it easy to share with others. As many Web 2.0 tools do now, there is an app available for it and you can integrate it into your browser for even easier bookmarking ability. If you are having trouble keeping track of websites and need a one stop show, try Diigo.


Teacher / Student Uses:
  • Save important websites and access them on any computer.
  • Categorize websites by titles, notes, keyword tags, lists and groups.
  • Search through bookmarks to quickly find desired information.
  • Save a screenshot of a website and see how it has changed over time.
  • Annotate websites with highlighting or virtual "sticky notes."
  • View any annotations made by others on any website visited.
  • Share websites with groups or the entire Diigo social network.
  • Comment on the bookmarks of others or solicit comments to your shared bookmarks.

https://www.diigo.com/‎

~Jeremy Cooper

6 comments:

  1. Jeremy,
    You said something about Diigo, But I would have liked to have seen more about what you can do with it instead of that it exists. What did you find captivating about the blogs that you were reading.

    Check out Richard Byrnes' website, Free Tech for Teachers to see how he shares tech tools. http://www.freetech4teachers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Z,

    Thanks for the advice and the website link, I've updated my initial post with some more uses for both teachers and students when using Diigo. I'm still very new to using Blogs in this way, so one of the main captivating things I've found from the blogs I've been reading, is how much time and effort goes into these posts. I've used Blogs before, but it was used as more of a Learning Management System and distribution point for both students and parents. I can also see that once you have a blog in place and you can see exactly how many people are actually visiting it, that you need to make sure that you have solid and useful information if you expect people to follow you. In a couple of the blogs that I've tried posting in, the authors get back to me relatively quickly, and it seems so crazy that they are willing to immediately give me a response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeremy,
    The list above is a great way to introduce effective organizational skills online. I use diigo all the time and I love it for organization.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeremy-

    I've had to use Diigo for a lot of different Ed Tech classes and I think it is such a cool tool. I think it is awesome how you can screenshot a website to see how it changes over time (something that would be cool for Facebook since it changes all the time). Have you used it a lot in your classroom?

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeremy-

    I've had to use Diigo for a lot of different Ed Tech classes and I think it is such a cool tool. I think it is awesome how you can screenshot a website to see how it changes over time (something that would be cool for Facebook since it changes all the time). Have you used it a lot in your classroom?

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diigo is a resource I've slowed down in using, thanks for bringing it to my attention again. I believe they have some features that were not there a few years ago. With the ability to sync browsers now and having access to my bookmarks no matter where I am I didn't see as much of a need. However, the ability to share your collection with others and being able to organize them in a way besides just putting them in folders is really nice. The screen shot feature is worth me checking out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete